Thursday, March 21, 2013

Wait, Back Up

Some last minute freelance work just sort of crept up on me last night, so I won't have the time today that I thought to get more ideas down. Still, I'd like to take a second to tell you (and me, I guess) about some of the things that I want to do here. The first is to talk about games, which should be obvious. I kinda like 'em. Not only more than just tribute to old stuff and awareness of the new, but also to expand upon some other work I see around the internet and to extrapolate further information from the work that I've been doing myself because, well, a lot of that stuff has to be short. 2,000 words on the internet may as well be a Victor Hugo novel.

One of the industries spawned from gaming that I love almost as much as gaming itself is its ever-evolving criticism and journalism. I think there are very unique ways to look at the hows/whys/whens of game development and equally unique people that ask those questions. I think its important to chronicle the history of not only games themselves but also the industries that surround it. While criticism and journalism are certainly not the same thing, neither can they be mutually exclusive. Occasionally there will be criticism on this site, but rarely journalism. That's not what I'm building. But criticizing the journalism isn't the point, either (people have done that). I like seeing how they both tick as much as I love finding out how potentially great projects fall apart. To me, these are worth exploring.

I know that sounds a little vague, but that's kind of the point, too. There are personal projects I want to work on, and turning an eye on the games writers and their work is part of that. But probably not the only part. Let's be honest, I still want to tell you that the world needs to let go of their hate for The Battle of Olympus. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

No comments: