Monday, April 13, 2009

Oh, Times; You Is A-Changin'

This being my first post in a blog that was started something like 8 months ago, I have to say I'm sorry to some of the other folks that I let down by not posting anything. We thought it would be hip and wacky to start posting about random stuff like video games and comics and lumberjacks and shit, but that seemed to fall by the wayside. So we tried to start again with talking about beer and what our favorite beers are, but that didn't happen either (probably because we couldn't get past the beer drinking part. Man, I can't write when I'm drunk and I don't know how Bukowski did it).

So I'm going to do my part and start over by talking about video games. Maybe lumberjacks, too. I bet we get into some beer, but it's only 3:30 in the afternoon.

Now that I think about it, though, that shit hasn't stopped me before. Hurm...

Moving on, though, I keep a separate blog about the used video game market that updates a couple times a week or so, depending on what's going on. I started that one by pretty much talking trash about Final Fantasy VII, so I think that would be a good place to start this one, too. See, I hadn't played the game in over a decade and was a pretty vocal hater in its place in the gray market. I'm kinda getting over that, but the wound is too deep.

Why the change of heart? Well, it turns out that I sort of stumbled upon a copy and had the nerve to play through it again to see if my ire was worth it. I decided to lay things out on the internets during my second coming, so this is kind of a repost of that until I get more wacky thoughts going. So, the following couple of posts are my afterthoughts of Final Fantasy VII, the second time around.

I'd like to leave you with the fact that Blogger wants me to label this post scooters, vacation, and fall. I'd like to think there's probably a metaphoric link to Final Fantasy VII in that way, but I'm drawing a blank. I'll leave it up to you to find something good...

3/19/09

Noam Chomsky

This is the second time I've posted this today, which means that I had to remember what I wrote the first time. Thanks, MySpace!

So I had this roommate in college, right. This roommate was a pretty well-read hipster kind of character that had seething, frothing hate on for linguist/philosopher/head case Noam Chomsky. I don't think anything gave The Roommate more pleasure than getting into heated, nigh violent altercations with the Chomsky love children and their colorless green ideas. The thing with The Roommate, though, is that it wasn't simply his ability to argue his points, but his want to hate. I say this because in his effort to hold up on the battlefield, The Roommate would read everything Chomsky had ever written (which is a lot) as to bring the right artillery. I always admired him for that.



I have, for years, been a pretty vocal opponent (read: hater) of Final Fantasy VII. I mean, I can't take away the fact that was massive leap forward in JRPG design and video games as a whole, as well as a watershed moment in forging Sony's console supremacy; but when someone gushes over how perfect it is and how maybe, just maybe, it's the greatest video game ever made I grind my teeth. For some reason, it also makes me want to take a shit, but I'm not entirely sure why. My own personal history the game really isn't all that remarkable: it may have been the first game I had ever pre-ordered and I grabbed it on day one. After playing through the first few disks, I got insane bored with it, played through Symphony of the Night (a few times, I think), and began getting sick of it staring me in the face while sitting on my shelf, so I promptly finished it as fast as possible and sold it off. This, of course, was 1997-98, more than a decade ago, and a lot may have changed since then. I've often thought about grabbing another copy to go through with an older, more critical eye to see if my wrath is warrented, but haven't pulled the trigger. Being one of the few games I can think of that's highly sought after based on popular opinion and not necessarily rarity, I just can't justify the $70+ used price tag.

Now, fate has basically dropped a copy of the game in my lap. Therefore, I'll be posting my thoughts on my second coming to what anime kids think is the promised land of video games as often as I can. I'm not sure my life will change, but I'm kind of open to that right now; I've been playing a lot of Street Fighter 4.

No comments: