Monday, April 13, 2009

Oh, Times; You Is A-Changin'4

3/31/09

So I'm almost at the end of disk 2 and things are moving pretty fast at this point. Faster, even, than I would have suspected, now that I think about it. For the most part, disk 2 affirms my initial reactions that there is something wrong with this game's overall pace. Midgard was a really a thrilling location with lots of fun environments and well designed scenarios. A plodded along a bit here and there, but the scenery was not only pretty, but the location felt alive. Midgard made me feel as though I was actually in the city; I was interacting with the environments and they all made sense. I hate to keep harping on it, but the overworld just doesn't give me that same satisfaction. The events that take place on the overworld are too fast and too cobbled together and the game doesn't feel cohesive any longer.



The plot from this point (and I'm guessing from here on out) has returned to the nonsense that befuddle most Japanese RPGs. I'm really a little bit let down by this because the game started so strong that, in the first few hours, I had almost completely threw up my hands in my own disgust in how unfair I was to it for so long. While I can't say that I was totally right either (I'll have to decide after the credits roll), I will say that that it's been really ...average. Yeah, average.

Hurmmm...

More hits against it so far have to do with managing my materia between characters. Since you only have three active party members in your menu at a time, trying to shuffle your cats and kittens in and out of the menu to equip/ dequip their stuff is fucking irritating. Read that again; it's not just irritating, it's fucking irritating. When the time comes for Square to finally bleed the VII franchise past its death rattle, I hope this is one of things fixed in the inevitable remake. Battle animations are also really getting on my nerves at this point. While it's easy to level my sights at the summon spells, I actually find that I use them pretty infrequently, so I can't blame them. No, I think if anything is really annoying with the combat it's the enemies and how long it takes for them to swing a sword or shoot rings at you or jump around and spasm for no good reason at all. It really drags battles out much longer than they need to go.



More to come

No comments: