Monday, May 4, 2009

Nerdmas? Hmm, Too Dumb A Term To Coin



So last week, Best Buy had an absurd sale on PS3, Wii, 360, and DS games- many of them for about $10. That's right, only ten clams. I, as all three of you that read this might suspect, jumped on this like this chick on Rob Halford. It was little less of a haul than I thought it would be, but you can't deny the power of Only Ten Bucks. Think about it. Would you go see performance art? Punch George Lucas for The Prequels? Go to a Tommy Seebach reunion show? Of course you would if it was Only Ten Bucks.

So there I was, with a couple of Only Ten Bucks on me. Since they didn't have a copy of Devil May Cry 4 for PS3 for OTB, I settled with Lost Planet and Soul Calibur 4. Evidently, they also had copies of Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword for DS on sale, too, but the masterminds at the Best Buy I ended up at hid them from me. Savages.

So Lost Planet. Had I actually lost Lost Planet on my way home, it would have been no loss (see what I did there?). Ok, ok; it's not a terrible game by any stretch, but certainly no gem. Standard run and gun game mechanics apply to what is basically your time on Hoth, just no Han Solo to stuff you into a tauntaun if you really get in the shit. The weapon choices are fairly standard and the plot is downright abusive to my good taste and sensibilities. Still, for Only Ten Bucks? Yeah, worth every penny. Let's break it down:

- I get to blow stuff up. I love making things s'plode, even on Hoth.
- I get to use a grappling hook. Sure, it isn't the most well implemented mechanic in the game (or any game with a grappling hook), but it kinda makes me feel like a ninja. I love ninjas. On Hoth. Believe it.
- I'm more than half way through the game, and that tickles me. See, I usually play long games, and to have one that I have no beef getting rid of as soon as it's finished makes me happy that it's almost over.
- I'm not inclined to play online with it, but it's nice to know that it's there if want it. Options in this regard, are quite swell.

There you have it. I'll never look back on it as a misunderstood classic, but for OTB, it was the bee's knees.

Soul Calibur 4, though? Let's see. I like fighting games. In fact, I like them a lot. So much so, that I won a Tekken 3 tournament in college and got a couch out of the deal (don't get too impressed, it was a nasty couch). So let's make that a mathematical equation:

Enjoyment x (Street Fighter/ Tekken/ King of Fighters)/ Price = Worth It

Notice that Soul Calibur 4 does not factor into the above Euclidean methodology. It very well could be said that the Soul Calibur series is a weapons-based extension of Tekken, but it could also be said that one-armed golfing mosquitoes are invading Poland (read: it just ain't true). Therefore, it was hard to justify my purchase of SC4 prior to last week. After spending a fairly extensive amount of time with it, I find it enormously complicated, even for a weapons-based fighting game. Going through the story mode so I could unlock stuff was fun, but there didn't seem to be any weight to it. Its presentation is insanely pompous, too, which is pretty funny, now that I think about it, but gets old quick. OTB, though? Hurm...

- Lots of a characters, and they's all kindsa wacky. Seriously. Wacky.
- Solid online play. I've been playing more than my share of online fighting games over the last few months, and this is probably the most stable game so far. Then again, I super suck at this game, so it's a little hard to get into it when I know I'm calling a butt kicking down on myself.
- It's pretty. Really, it's a game that's been working out and is now entering a modeling competition. The flip side to that is that certain, how shall we say, design decisions were made as far as females in this game go, and it's just too absurd for me. Just because I'm a dude doesn't mean that I think it's way rad that women strap bowling balls to their chest. Stupid Namco...
- Darth Vader. He was on Hoth once. It all comes together...

Still on the fence about Soul Calibur 4, then. The best part? Say it with me: Only Ten Bucks. While I foresee a trip to my local trade in joint when I get finished unlocking things in SC4 and finally crush Lost Planet, I'll say that this was twenty bones well spent.

No comments: