Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Updates From Yesterday


We'll do this in bullet form:


  • I still have a baby. She's very cute, if loud at times I wish she wouldn't be
  • I still haven't jumped into Metal Gear Solid V yet, but that's not for a lack of wanting. The cool thing about having a baby is that everybody and their brother wants to come over to see her, and they often bring food with them. Sure, that can get kind of old, but since it's mostly in the evenings when less stuff is going on, I'm still fine with it. Currently, though, the TV that is attached to the PlayStation 4 is having a semi-family viewing of Beetlejuice. I don't have it in my heart to stop it.
  • On that note, for only being less than a week old at the time, my newborn baby girl has seen a fair amount of the cannon of Movies All Humans Should Watch, and mostly by dumb ass luck since they were on television at one time or another since we got home on Friday. These include: The Dark Knight, ET, Back to the Future, and to a lesser extent, Whiplash (which was good, but a little too new for such a prestigious list). I'm hoping that the teachings of cinematic prophets Spielberg, Zemeckis, and Nolan will somehow seep into her, even if their current track records are a little on the spotty side. 
  • Google has a new logo. They didn't need it.
  • I am slowly chipping away at compiling interviews for a huge story I'm writing for USGamer next month. Not a whole lot of responses yet, but the key people are already on board, and that's what counts. I don't want to spoil what I'm doing yet, but it's a pretty cool project that I'm super excited to work on. If the stars would have aligned and I would have scored an interview from a specific person, it would have cracked the whole thing open and made this piece my Sistine Chapel, but alas, the world isn't full of people that want to talk about their past work, if you can believe it. 
  • Still about half way through the first edit of the book (remember that?), but I'm hoping to get an edit done in the next few weeks and sent out to a few very hip cats and kittens that agreed to proof it. This is a total bullshit vanity project for me, but I still need to constructive criticism, so let's see how that goes. I'm definitely up early enough, now that I think about it, so I should probably start taking advantage of the golden hour to get this mopped up. We'll see, I s'pose.
  • Beyond reasoning, my wife has forced me to go to the gym the last few days, and has reasoned enough that I'll be spending an hour or so outside of the house every day for this purpose. I was comfortable with skipping for another week, but sainted woman that she is, she knew that if I didn't stick to some sort of routine in my life I would be kind of a house-dwelling ogre. Nobody needs that. Tomorrow: chest, legs, and vomit.
  • Holy shit, Jamestown+ is a smashing video game. I can't even count how long it's been since I've really sat down with a bullet hell shooter, and this really hit the spot for a two hour binge the other night when I was totally wired and couldn't get any sleep. I know that I have a giant funky chunk of open world stealth-ery waiting for me, but goddammit, I want to go back to Jamestown+ right effing now.
  • Contrary to that, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris is...good...I guess. No, it actually is pretty decent. A little more on the shoot-y side compared to it's isometric, more puzzle heavy progenitor Lara Croft and the Mysterious something something I'm too lazy to look up the name. I actually really liked that first game, and I was pretty happy to get this new one as a PS+ download last month. So far, it seems to be a bit more of an overhead metroidvania, but I really only got about an hour or so into it, so I can't tell you for sure. Man, I love unlocking upgrades and digging through environments for secrets and stuff, though, and it kind of felt like this had that kind of thing going on. Compared to Jamestown+ (you know, that game you're downloading right now, right?), I don't want to run right back over to my PS4 to play it, but I can see myself going back to it, post MGSV.
  • Yeah right.
  • I'm about 60% of the way through a download of Guild Wars 2, a game I have no business getting into at the moment. It probably won't work on this low-rent laptop anyway, but, well...
Huh. A lot happened, didn't it?

No comments: