Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Fine, Let's Talk About E3 Press Events



So how about those press conferences yesterday, huh? Seems as though Microsoft brought a bunch of games and Sony came packing with Everything Everyone Wanted to Hear Ever. I've always thought that Jack Tretton was a class act, to be honest, but I can't shake the image out of my head that he was watching the Microsoft press event yesterday, checklist in hand, chuckling to himself how much he can make the XBONE look like it was made by crowds of dickheads. In fact, I'm surprised that, in his glee last evening, he didn't let the term slip out. That would have made for a bonafide E3 surprise.

Outside of that, though, I've never heard so many people SO PSYCHED to pay $400 for anything in my entire life. Still, the PlayStation 4 looks to begin with an impressive good will lead over the XBONE. This is swell. I keep telling myself, though, that the PS3 staggered punch drunk off of the assembly line looking like the most expensive unnecessary hobbyist machinery this side of the 3DO and it, somehow, clawed it's way back to being competitive. Microsoft has just shown how dumb they are at this E3, but that doesn't mean that they can't wise up sooner rather than later. For now, a PS4 is in my future and a XBONE still looks like an expensive cable box. A year from now, who knows?

In other news, Square Enix is consistently cagey, but Final Fantasy Versus XIII is now (to the surprise of nobody) Final Fantasy XV. Sony has proven that some people can learn from their mistakes, but E3 hasn't been clear this year if that record can go two-for-two. Since no release date has been posted for the next "officially" numbered entry in the series, I'm not holding my breath. After all, VXIII has only been in development for close to ten years.

Image also from Kotaku, mostly because I was just reading the article about 5 minutes ago

No comments: