Sunday, February 18, 2018

Day 17: No Shirts, No Shoes

Even though I took a short break yesterday from the writing, I also found myself taking a bit of a break from the game, too. I only get a chance to play about 20 minutes' worth when my wife was giving our daughter a bath, but this was enough to power through most of 5-2 to open the shortcut. The truth is, I'm fighting some sickness off, and have been for weeks now, so I just wanted to spend some time with the fam and hit the sack early. I was in bed by 9:45. I am an adult.

But I actually did try to get some co-op in this time, and I think that's telling. I've been trying to play some PvP over the past few days, but without getting into some dedicated fight clubs with other players, the only online scraps I've been in have been happy accidents. And that's ok! The game is set up this way. There aren't any lobbies, menus, or dedicated areas to fight other people online, making the threat of another person coming in a real event. Later games of the series would embrace it a little more and at least include arenas, but here in its infancy the series chose to have enemy invasion be cryptic and terrifying.

But now that the servers have been fixed, it seems that the entirety of the online community is more interested in co-op play, and is evident by a global shift of world tendency toward pure white given the server median. It's hard not to be swept up in this, especially now that I've come to rely on Discord when the servers were in worse shape. When I get back to it tonight, though, I need to set myself on a mission; I need to either find a fight club or start one, because I feel I need more significant online competition. It's possible that this is overkill, but the clock is ticking (only 10 days left), and the deadline for the story is looming.

But we'll talk about that tomorrow.

No comments: